dedicated to home boat builders and those interested in boat restoration.
17- Designed and built by
Drifter 17 Build
Sept 2011 - LAUNCHED!!!
I launched and sailed Gypsy Wind for the first time! It was a beautiful
day, and it was great to get out on the water again. The boat seems to
sail very well, but I had a minor problem with the rudder, and
couldn't stay out that long, so there is still a lot more to learn. I
spent the night anchored out in the river, and was quite cozy in the
cabin. I can't wait to get to try her out again.
Aug 15 2011 -
Mark writes :
I stepped the mast for the first time, and put up the sails! Everything
fit well and I can't wait to get out sailing, maybe in about a week.
Here's some photos of the rig. I was wondering if you could do me
a favor, and replace the photo of the model of the mast section with
the drawing of the mast section I'm sending you, in the part where I
talk about designing the rig.
(see Feb 19 2011 for the updated picture of the mast design)
July 27 2011 -
Mark Gumprecht writes
It's an exciting day for me. I finally got both amas installed and
painted, and got to see the boat together for the first time! The amas
are easy to fold up, and there are just eight bolts to put in when
folded down to secure them. I painted the boat with System Three water
based LPU, which is easy to use, and has almost no smell. You can paint
directly over the sanded epoxy, with no primer, which saves a lot of
work and sanding. Very important on a boat with three hulls. I hope to
be out sailing in 2 to 3 weeks.
July 17 2011 - Great progress on the Drifter 17:
I finished painting the main hull, and got the boat on the trailer for
the first time, and out of my garage! I put her in my larger boat shed
so I can install the amas, and paint them. I'll put the mast back in my
garage so I can paint it, and install the hardware.
June 16 2011 - Here's the latest update from Mark
I finally got the roof on! Here's some more pictures you can post. I
finished fiberglassing the the cabin, and I am doing the finally
sanding to get ready for painting. The really boring part of
boatbuilding! I was wondering if you could swap this photo of the sail
plan for the other one I sent you? That photo distorted the size of the
mast, making it look about 3' too short.
Here's the pictures Mark sent :
May 14 2011 -
I'm finally building the cabin, after finishing a lot of interior
details that would be hard to do later. This part is a lot of fun. The
forward deck overhangs the bow, giving more deck space, and should keep
the boat a lot drier. I'm getting a feel for the space inside, and it
really feels cozy. The counter on the port side makes into the second
bunk by adding an extension piece. The arched frames are part of the
beam to support the mast. This area must be strong because there is no
post to take the compression load. The hatch goes almost to the mast,
and will pop up about 6" to give headroom when sitting in the cabin.
The hatch will be easily removable. On nice days, I'll stow it in the
cabin. I think you could put the main up by standing inside the cabin.
I love how the cabin looks!
May 3 2011 -
ongoing work on the cabin
24 2011 - Setting up the beams
Stringers installed and additional cockpit
19 Feb 2011 - I've
started building the mast, and drew up the sail plan, so I can order
the sails in plenty of time to be ready for the summer. I'm almost done
with the beams, I just need to install the hinges and bottom plates.
Then I will be able to assemble the boat for the first time to locate
the beams in the main amas and main hull. That will be exciting to see
how everything looks together. I decided to go ahead and build the mast
while I still had room in my garage. Once the beams are permanently
installed in the main hull, there wouldn't be room to build it. It's a
wing mast of my own design, built out of 1/8" ply and spruce, with
fiberglass on the outside. I use foam to make the leading edge round.
You could use a beach cat mast. I built my own because I think it will
be lighter, which will make it easier to step by myself. A Hobie 16
mast weighs 39 lbs, I'm hoping this mast will weigh about 25 lbs. I had
fun drawing up the sail plan. It has a full batten main with one reef,
a roller furling jib and reacher on a short bowsprit. The jib is set up
as part of the rig when you step the mast, the reacher goes up on the
spinnaker halyard. I made the forestay longer than most designers seem
to these days, so I could keep the mast shorter, and still have a
reasonable amount of sail area. It's not a good idea to make the mast
too tall on these smaller boats. The real danger is pitchpoling
downwind in stronger winds. The reacher should be a fun sail off the
wind. I can't wait to get her out sailing for the first time.
24 Jan 2011 - Mark is
making progress on the main hull, really taking shape, looks like there
will be nice roon to bunk down inside. Also one of the cross
beams is taking shape.
December 2010 - Here are some
shots of the bulkheads for the main hull.
December 2010 - Here's some more photos you can put up on your site. I
just finished the second ama, and I am hoping to set up the frames
for the main hull tomorrow.
Started my winter project, a new design
called the Drifter 17.
It's a small tri that folds up, has a cabin and bunks for two, and is
cruising bays, rivers, and relatively protected waters. It has a more
sophisticated hull design that my other boats, which use simple flat
dory shaped hulls. The design combines sheet plywood construction, and
planking to give round bottom hulls, but is a lot less work and much
fairing than all strip planked construction. It is built mostly out of
1/8" and 1/4" mahogany plywood, glassed on both sides for more
strength. It will have a 22' mast, form a Hobie 14, or 16, and can use
from a Hobie 14. It will probably weigh about 400 lbs, and should
be easy to trailer.